Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My New Bed - Sewing Euro Shams

 All my friends know that my favorite color is white.  It looks clean and goes with everything.  However, I am trying to branch out and add more color to my house.  I decided to sew Euro pillow shams (26x26 pillows) with a 3'' flange.  I found a great tutorial at :
                 sew-passionate.blogspot.com/.../easy-euro-shams-with-3-flange.html

BEFORE

  I also made a new sham for the long center pillow (simply measured the pillow to make the pocket sham) and monogrammed it.  I loved the idea of navy blue (my accent wall) and yellow so I went on fabric.com and ordered 3 yards of a great yellow cotton print.  I used an old white sheet for the backs of  the Euro Shams and sewed 2 sheets of 1/4 inch batting to the front of the pillow to keep the flange from falling.
  Materials used:
3 yards of front fabric cut to 33''x33''
sheet for back : each pillow needs two 21.5''x33'' (they overlap in back)
batting 33''

These were so easy because there's no zipper involved!  Just make a simple pocket in the back! The end result came out great shown here:


AFTER (Notice my cat didn't move during the photo shoot)
               


I also decided to add a little yellow to my plain white lampshades by buying a stencil and painting a design on them instead of buying new ones.



 

                                           In the end, all of this only cost me about 30 dollars!

3 comments: